You really can’t get enough vegetables right?
An amazing rainbow of vegetables can provide the body with so many nutrients from B vitamins to vitamin C, calcium, fibre, potassium and the list goes on. All of these nutrients are so important for various reasons within the body but all will contribute to the body maintaining homeostasis and functioning in an optimal way. It is for this reason that the recommendation for the average adult is at least 5 serves of vegetables per day.
For many Australians, 5 servings of vegetables can be quite a challenge. There are many factors that may prevent us individually consuming the 5 serves everyday, such as time constraints, stress, or maybe you just don’t like vegetables.
I have created a recipe that meets all of those challenges. This Veggie Packed Lasagne is filled with vegetables (start off by choosing vegetables that you know you like) and can also be prepared in advance. I always recommend cooking extra, which can be frozen in single serves and pulled out of the freezer when needed.
Check out my recipe below and let me know your thoughts.
Veggie Packed Lasagne
1 medium zucchinis, chopped
2 large carrots, grated
1.5 cups of sliced mushrooms
750g chicken mince
2 cans of hopped tomatoes
1 medium sweet potato, thinly sliced
GF Pasta sheets
2 Tbs butter, melted
2 cups milk (your choice)
2 Tbs plain flour
1. Over medium heat, fry chicken mince until almost cooked through. Sit to the side.
2. Add a little oil to the pan, and fry zucchinis, carrots, mushrooms, garlic, basil and oregano until cooked through. Return chicken to the pan, add tomatoes and simmer.
3. To make white sauce, combine melted butter and flour in a saucepan. Add milk and whisk until thickened.
4. To assemble lasagna, place some of the meat mixture on the base of the dish followed by sweet potato (or pasta sheets) and white sauce. Continue layers, finishing with white sauce and then cheese.
5. Cover with foil and Cook in oven at 180° for 30 minutes. Uncover for a further 30 minutes or until browned on top.
Click here for printable version: Veggie Packed Lasagne