My Favourite Winter Soup
What are the first things that come to mind when you think of winter?
For me, I would have to say the freezing cold would be the first thing that pops into my mind (coming from Bathurst this would be an expected response with temperatures currently being in the negatives). However this response would be closely followed by delicious, warm, homemade soup. Nothing beats a warm soup in winter time!
This winter I have been trying so many different recipes with all different ingredients to keep things fresh and exciting. However the most recent discovery was this amazing meatball soup recipe with Middle Eastern herbs. It’s absolutely delicious and I just had to share it with you all 🙂
I also love that this recipe uses turkey mince as an alternative to regular beef mince, to lower the saturated (“bad”) fats. It also includes turmeric, which is an amazing herb for lowering inflammation within the body.
Let me know what you think!
Healthy Winter Meatball Soup
500g turkey mince
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 tsp dried parsley
1.5 tsp cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp paprika
1 Tbs coconut oil
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
5 cups beef bone broth/ stock
1 medium sweet potato, cubed
1. Combine meatball ingredients in a bowl and then shape into walnut-sized balls.
2. Cook meatballs in a preheated oven at 200 degrees for 10 minutes, or until just browning.
3. Meanwhile, melt coconut oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until translucent.
4. Add garlic and spices. Sauté for a further 30 seconds.
5. Pour in broth/ stock and sweet potato. Bring to a gentle boil, for 10 minutes.
6. Reduce heat, add meatballs and simmer for a further 10 minutes.